Monday, September 30, 2013

Heart of Motherhood- Shelli Majesky

Introduction
I'm Shelli, wife, mother of four, and needy woman of Jesus. Why am I here- all started on a sledding hill years ago. Met Sarah, we prayed for one another on the hill, and there began a sweet friendship that has been a breath of fresh air.
Not here because I am a model mother or wife, but because I am on a journey with the Lord, and He has breathed new life into me through a sweet conference I went to, I shared it with Sarah, and there we go!

Luke 7 – Simon the Pharisee and the Sinful Woman
Read the passage
Love this story, it's a beautiful contrast between two characters:
Sinning woman: She knew of Jesus great grace, and her great need. Because of this knowledge it
gave her courage to seek out Jesus, despite damaging her own reputation and more humiliation. After
finding Jesus, moved her to show great emotion and affection through washing His feet with her tears,
kissing them, and happily expending all of her resources with a life savings worth of pure perfume,
poured out on His feet!
Simon the Pharisee: He was a Pharisee, who had a traveling preacher, Jesus, into his home for dinner. This was not unusual, but rather expected, a respectable thing for him to do. He was rather dutiful in having Jesus into his home. He did not go above and beyond. He did not offer to wash Jesus feet or even order someone else to do it. Rather, he was somewhat put off and judgmental of the “sinning woman” when she did. These characters in this story, highlight two different ways of living: One is entitled, duty- on display in Simon’s life, one is happy, wasteful living- on display in the sinning woman’s life.

Two ways of living- lived out!
Entitled, duty:
We know that God calls us to faithful parenting
Parenting verse (Prov. 22:6, Train up a child n the way he should go; even when he is old he will not
depart from it.)
But what motivates that obedience?
Curious verse in Rom. 12:2, says, Do not be conformed to the world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind.
We are not to be conformed to the "Pattern of the world"
 1. One pattern?- work hard and receive what you are owed
 2. Find the right techniques and work them (vending machine idea!)
 3. This develops entitlement around the results, doing just enough to get the results, like Simon.
 4. Leads to "gritted teeth" in the way I parent (example: Getting kids ready to go worship the Lord with             the church, my daughter says,” Why are you always so angry when we get ready for church?”)
 5. We are NOT to be conformed to this pattern!
 6. Mothering is not a list of formulas, techniques, or programs.
 7. Mothering is not a competition or stage where we seek our validation, or a circus where we try and               create our circus bears.
 8. The Lord has entrusted us with human beings to care for and raise up - this is a supernatural thing,                 that involves supernatural involvement! Ladies, formulas are for math, systems are for science, and                 techniques are for handwriting.
There is a different way -the way of happy, wasteful living.
The way of a renewed mind - thinking in a different way, Holy Spirit-led, gospelpaved way, not                     seeking a result, but rather a relationship.
Begins with believing in, and being satisfied with all that has been accomplished for me already in                   Jesus as Savior and Lord
My sin doesn't need to drive me to more hard work but to rushing to the feet of Jesus. ( idea of                     seeking a covering by sitting with a mom that I think has it all figured out!)
Is my first default going to Jesus! Do I believe: John 6:67-69, or James 1:5-6?
If our default becomes Jesus first, what an opportunity to take what Satan intends for harm, and                     pull the rug right out from under Satan’s schemes.
In this response, I reestablish my hope, regain my strength and courage to move forward.
Out of love, not entitlement, and feeling I am owed!
The way also allows me to see the heart of my child!
Which means I look for more than behavior in them (and support more than behavior in them)
Mac and dinner table- see your children's heart behind their words and they will be blessed.
"And that's not my child" - what did the child hear?  That they are only my child when they act rightly.

What does this look like, practically, in manner, not technique?
This means that mothering is not about the how's but rather about the why’s
How parenting is duty driven and result oriented, versus why parenting which is obedience oriented             and love driven, overflowing out of an appreciation for grace.

How parenting 
fear driven
trusts in the method
Responds quickly and usually in anger
is anxious and wrought up
sees the many adjustments in a child and corrects 1st
environment in this home lacks humility, and
therefore lacks freedom and grace

Why parenting
faith driven
trusts in the Lord
responds slowly and with clarity
is peaceful and joy filled
sees strengths, encourages them,and comes alongside of the weaknesses
environment generally swims in humility and there is safety and health

Where do you feel like you spend more time? If in how parenting, do not be discouraged. Seek Jesus,
ask Him for grace, and for His kindness to lead you to repentance. This is the who point of the story in
Luke 7. If why parenting, celebrate, but stay on your face at the feet of Jesus.

Conclusion
Jeremiah 1:11a The Lord said, “Have I not set you free for their good? Have I not pleaded for you before the enemy in the time of trouble, and in the time of distress?” This set free means: We have had all of our questions and needs met and answered in Jesus!
Acceptance - MET, He died while I was still a sinner. (Rom. 5:8)
Affirmation - MET, He laid down His life for me insecurity - MET, secured my place in His family,                through death. (1 Peter 1:1-5)
Alone - MET, I will never leave you or forsake you. (Heb. 13:5b)
Loved - MET, loved me, and gave up his life for me, took on what I deserved. (Gal. 2:20b)
Afraid - NO NEED, The Lord is my helper, I will not fear! (Heb. 13:6)

Oh ladies, we have been set free! May we position ourselves at the feet of our Savior and experience
true delight in Him, and therefore love well!

Phil. 1:6- "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

Hebrews 10:39- "But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sisters in Christ

Designed By

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved