Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Little Moments for Smiling- Jeanette McBee

Little Moments for Smiling

A heart full of thankfulness for those moments that are small, sometimes fleeting, refreshes our soul, relaxes our muscles. Who allows these glimpses of joy? Who loves you so much and knows what makes you laugh? He created your smile and chuckles. There are times when I believe the lie that I'm not any fun and I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud. Who wants to be around me? Have you every felt that way?
The Lord God Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth, says you are precious and He loves you (Isaiah 43:4). 
Let's make smiling a little easier. What are some things that make you smile or laugh? This may sound funny (pun intended), but I have a "Smile File". Jokes, quips, articles I've read along the way that make me laugh out loud are here. It's a great pick-me-up. For practice, write 3 things that you enjoy doing (This is not the time to muffle a cry of "when will I ever have time just for me!!" Trust God for time to experience joy He made for you.) Here are some ideas to get you started: Listen to music that soothes or energizes; A cup of your favorite warm drink in a pretty mug; Sitting with a book for 15 minutes uninterrupted and quiet; Playing a game with your kids that you like, too; A bouquet of flowers in a prominent place; A candle, which shape, color or scent is attractive to you; A breakfast that you take care in preparing for yourself and/or your family (use the "nice" dishes and flatware, eat the food you like most, etc.).
Now maybe it goes without saying, so if you already understand this please be patient with me as I'm going to say it anyway: Making an idol of these little joys, meaning having an expectation that your "moment" has to be perfect to be enjoyed, will backfire.
Be alert, notice, recognize when God, seemingly spontaneously, creates little joys just for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sisters in Christ

Designed By

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved